Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Matt's Monster's Progress

I talk a lot about how I'm working on my children's book on this blog so it's only fair I show you all some progress. Here's my process for coloring my kid's book. I work on each page as a spread (2 pages that open together). First step is to scan in my drawing and open it on Photoshop, clean it up.

Step 2: Put the black lines on a separate layer and color in the lines on various different layers.
Step 3: Select the black lines using channel select and color in the lines on separate layers:
Step 4: Over lay watercolor wash textures I've made and scanned in on various layers
Step 5: Shade in the flats on all the various flat layers.
and that's how I color in each of my spreads and why it takes so so long. Each page ends up having somewhere around 30-60 layers. fun fun fun. I'm about half way done on the inner pages and will have to complete the cover and some spot illustrations after. just keep swimming.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Chris! Thanks for showing the step by steps, I can imagine how much effort you put into it. And I think it's definitely worth all the hard work.

    Let me know when you publish the book, I'll definitely buy it~~

    ReplyDelete